Raspberry Cuatro Leches Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 larg eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
Cuatro Leches Sauce
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups condensed milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup dulce de leche
- 4 ounces of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry juice concentrate or 1 tablespoon of raspberry puree
- 1-2 teaspoon of dehydrated raspberry powder for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Sift baking powder, flour and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter in the mixer bowl with paddle attachment till light and fluffy on speed #2, add sugar gradually until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Lower the speed to #1 and start adding on egg at a time until blended. Continue to mix, adding vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the batter and continue mixing; add1/2 of the milk, scrape the bowl and add another 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter. Continue to mix, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 of the milk; once incorporated, add the rest of the flour mixture and finish mixing, making sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into an 8” buttered cake pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Place in lower 3rd rack of preheated oven and bake for 55-70 minutes until the center of the cake springs back when touched and sides come apart from the pan.
- Let cool completely.
Cuatro Leches Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until well blended and a homogenous sauce is reached.
- In a small saucepan, with a candy thermometer, bring water and sugar to a softball level, temperature 240 F.
- In an electric mixer bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form using the whip attachment.
- Add the sugar syrup slowly to the egg whites at medium speed; do not turn off the mixer.
- Once all the sugar syrup is added, add the vanilla and raspberry juice concentrate, and bring the mixer to high speed until hard peaks form.
- Turn the cake on to a card board and remove parchment.
- Slice cake upside down in 3 even layers.
- Prick each layer with a fork creating small holes throughout the layer.
- Brush 6oz of the cuatro leches sauce per layer as you reassemble the cake.
- Ice cake with the meringue using a spatula, making sure to leave ½-inch thick cover all around the cake.
- Torch the meringue until golden brown and make sure not to burn it.
- Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and add dehydrated raspberry powder.